Arachnoid is an Arkanoid/Breakout clone with a twist – instead of bricks, there are spiders crawling all over the place! There are several kinds of spiders with different abilities, as well as other obstacles and bonuses.
The game is written in Python/Pygame. Graphics are adopted from several sources (see this post with the links).
Click here to download the game (current version is 0.5)
Running the game: python main.py
- Right & left arrows, or mouse movement to move the paddle (mouse is preferable because it supports acceleration)
- Space or left mouse button to release the ball
- Key ‘p’ to pause the game, and ‘o’ to continue after pause
- Del to go the next level (only in the cheat mode)
Command line options (only if argparse module is installed):
–cheat: turns on the cheat mode (Del allows to go to the next level, and the game doesn’t stop when the number of lives goes below 0)
–level N: starts on level N instead of 1
- saving scores, high-score table
- info screen with the explanation of enemies and bonuses
- list of locked/unlocked levels & level codes instead of starting from any level (maybe)
- level editor
Tested with python 2.7.3 and (to some extent) 2.6.6, and Pygame 1.9.1.